Guitar Building DVD
Building the Selmer-Maccaferri Guitar...
with Michael Collins
This is a 10 DVD set showing how to build the Selmer-Maccaferri guitar. Filmed in Canada at Michael Collins guitar shop, Mike starts with a pile of wood and ends up with a beautiful gypsy jazz guitar. An experienced gypsy jazz guitar builder, Mike carefully explains and demonstrates every step of the building process and you get to see the finished guitar played by gypsy jazz guitarist David Dunlap of Canada. The DVD set compliments Mike's book on "How to build the Selmer-Maccaferri guitar" which is sold by Luthier Mercantile and Stewart-McDonald.
Video coming soon...
This is not a home video. I have been in the video business for 20 years and you can see my studio by going to www.technicalconcepts-ct.com. It was shot with my $25,000 Sony camera, edited and mastered to Betacam SP and authored on my Sonic DVD Creator DVD authoring workstation. The photos below of Mike working on the guitar are actual frame grabs from the video. It has no regional encoding, so it will play anywhere in the world. Shipping to most countries in Europe is $36.00 via Global Express insured.
You can see Michael's guitars on his website, www.collinsguitar.com. There is a total of 14 hours worth of instruction with menu buttons and chapters for each of the following segments:
1. Molds and patterns...How to build them
2. Laminating the sides and back...Using the vacuum bag system
3. Making the braces...How to design and shape
4. Making the soundboard...Thinning, joining and making the pattern
5. Cutting the rosette channel...How to use the right tool
6. Inlaying the rosette...Fitting and gluing
7. Scraping the inlays...Using the cabinet scraper
8. Gluing the back and sides...Gluing and using the Go_bar deck
9. Assembling the sides...Gluing and fitting with the mold
10. Fitting and gluing the top braces...Carving and using the Go-Bar deck
11. Fitting and gluing the liners...Laminating solid liners, bending and gluing
12. Fitting and gluing the back....Alignment, gluing and clamping
13. Building the neck...From start to finish
14. Fitting and gluing the top....Alignment, gluing and clamping
15. Building the fretboard....Slot cutting, installing frets and fretboard profile
16. Installing the bindings...Routing, installation and tools
17. Gluing the neck...Joint, tooling and assembly
18. Making the bridge...Patterns, tooling and carving
19. Installing the tuners....Miller type
20. Making the nut...Carving and slotting the bone
21. Final set-up...Fret leveling, height adjustment and fret crowning
22. Final sanding and staining...Top, sides and back
23. Final finishing...French polishing, spraying lacquer and buffing
The 10 DVDs cover the entire process and are a great reference for experienced luthiers, as well as step-by-step instructions for the first time builder. Each section has a menu button and is divided into chapters for easy access to critical areas.
The entire video was shot on location by myself and edited in my video studio in Connecticut. I filmed with Mike for 11 days in Canada and it took three months to edit down to 14 hours. In the end, anyone watching this video will see every step of the construction in detail. Michael follows the original Selmer plans and explains in detail how they where made in the 30's. Each section mixes the latest techniques with old world luthier skills to provide the broadest explanation of how to build this style of guitar.